12 September 2013

Lazy Lemon Berry Scones




After a long day of work and by long I mean it felt longer than it actually was, I came home and wanted to bake something.

I had seen this recipe on Pinterest for Lemon Blueberry Scones and thought it would be perfect to make because my blueberries were going to go bad if I didn't use them soon. 

So I got home at around 11:30 pm and started to whip this up. The dough didn't take long at all and because I was making these for John and myself only. I didn't have to make them look pretty because...really who has time for that? If it's just for us I don't have the time or the patience to make them all look perfect; especially if it's my first attempt at a recipe. What if they don't come out? All that time measuring and weighing and patting my dough for nothing. 

Anyway, once I took them out of the oven and tasted them I knew that this recipe was a keeper and so if I ever do make them for other people I might just make them...even. 

I used this recipe from Shannon Mulligan Photography. I did alter it a bit but not by much. Visit her site for what your scones can look like if you put some effort into it.  


Lemon Blueberry Scone Dough



2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp cold butter
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon zest
1 cup fresh blueberries
milk for brushing tops*

Directions for dough: 
Preheat oven to 400°
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut butter into dry ingredients till crumbly. Stir in milk, lemon juice and lemon zest until moistened. Fold in fresh blueberries. Pat into circle about one inch thick on lightly floured counter. Cut into 8 wedges. Place one-two inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Brush tops with milk. Bake for about 17 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly and drizzle with glaze.

My Observations: 
My dough came out kind of wet so I didn't want to add any more liquid to the scones. I just put them in the oven with nothing on top. 

The reason I think my dough came out a bit wet was the fact that I had just rinsed the blueberries and threw them in without patting them dry first. When you clean your blueberries pat them dry or lay them out on a towel so that it soaks up a lot of the water. Then, when you add them to the dough it won't change the consistency. 

If you pat your blueberries and find that your dough is too dry just add a LITTLE bit more milk. In tiny, tiny increments until it's the right consistency. Remember, you can make it wetter, but you can't go make it drier again. 

Instead of cutting the scones into triangles I took the dough directly from the bowl, rolled them in my hands and placed them on the cookie sheet. Then I flattened them a bit until they were more-or-less-kind-of the same size. Her recipe makes 8 wedges; mine made 6 lumps. 

Lemon Glaze

1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
pinch of lemon zest 

Directions for glaze: 
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. You may need more or less lemon juice to get the consistency you need. 

My Observations: 
I zested and squeezed one whole lemon into a bowl. I added sugar until the glaze was the consistency I wanted. I didn't measure it out mainly because I didn't want half a lemon in my refrigerator and I didn't want to measure. I bake lazy. 


Still, I think that my lazy version is just as good as the real version. They were moist and crumbly and had the right amount of lemon and blueberry. The glaze on top added a nice, refreshing kick of lemon since it wasn't baked in. 



I would definitely make these again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment