01 October 2013

Eye Feast #3 - Sherlock


Sherlock
2010 - Current
Created by: Steven Moffat & Mark Gatiss


In this post, I talk about the things I love about British TV and Sherlock in general. But I can't count that as an eye feast post so you get this one.


I absolutely love Sherlock. It is everything I'm sure Sir Arthur Conan Doyle would have wanted. Though I love me some Robert Downey Jr., the American movies aren't on par with this BBC show. This show does something that not enough shows do and that is make their audience think. And not only does it make you think, it gives you the benefit of the doubt; it assumes that you are a smart viewer.

Sherlock Holmes is played by Benedict Cumberbatch and he does GREAT.


He is frequently angered by everyone else's lesser intellect.


And it is hilarious because you can tell that he doesn't understand why this might be rude. He is obviously smarter than you, that is a fact, why can't he say such facts?


He speaks very fast but it only adds to his character. If you can't keep up, then there's something wrong with you, not him.

I totally have a crush on Watson. I think he is super cute and obviously very patient if he can put up with Sherlock's BS.


This Watson is unlike the one I have always seen depicted. I have never read the stories of Sherlock Holmes but whenever I thought of Watson I thought of him as a large, bumbling, man that was always in Sherlock's way. The BBC Watson is completely the opposite. He helps Sherlock solve the mysteries and sometimes becomes his conscience.


I've heard the name Moriarty before but I never knew much about the character. Again, I've never read the books but I think that this version of Moriarty is great. He is conniving, egotistical, and insane - the perfect (mis)match for Sherlock.







My favorite aspect of the entire show is the way they show how Sherlock's brain works. They use text messages, text on screen, and clever editing to show you what Sherlock focuses on and what it means to him. By using this technique, it makes Sherlock not only more accessible but it helps the audience to identify with him. I think that is important because this version of Sherlock would be very hard to tolerate.



Each episode is 90 minutes long and there are only three episodes per series but the next series should be out...sometime in 2014. If you haven't seen this amazingly brilliant show, please do yourself a favor and check them out on Netflix or at your local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment