17 July 2014

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Scarlet 
Author: Marissa Meyer
Published by: Feiwel and Friends


The second book in The Lunar Chronicles, continues where Cinder left off. Cinder is trying to escape from jail and Kai is trying to rule the Eastern Commonwealth without inciting a Lunar/Earthen war.  In France, Scarlet meets a mysterious boy, Wolf, who she thinks may have information about her grandmother's whereabouts. Wolf believes that Scarlet may know more about Lunars than she lets on. Will the four of them be able to keep Queen Levana at bay?


I was so disappointed in this book. I expected to devour this book like I did with Cinder but it took me almost a week to get through it. Yes, get through it.

This book, like the first, is loosely based on a fairy tale. In this case: Little Red Riding Hood which means that going into this book, you are introduced to another character all together: Scarlet. I personally didn't like her. I thought she was rude, impulsive, and reckless. I understand that she loves and cares for her grandmother but I just couldn't care for her when I was so invested in Cinder. Cinder has her own few chapters but after spending a few hundred pages with her and Kai, I felt it was a bit too much to get involved in a whole new couple and their romance.

Iko comes back and I love that she wasn't abandoned. I also really liked Thorne. As annoying as he may be I think he adds the perfect amount of comedic relief to the story and balances out Cinder's one-track mind very well.

I also really liked Wolf. I thought that his character was complex and interesting. I know that there has to be more to him and I was constantly wondering about his past...But even then all I really wanted to read about was Cinder and Kai. When it comes to them though, their few chapters aren't all that interesting as this book is mostly about Scarlet, Wolf, and how their stories play into the entire saga.

I think that many people will like this book. Perhaps if I had to waited a bit longer to read this one I would have found it more enjoyable. But whatever. I'm still ready to read the third book: Cress.

If you're looking for action, adventure, and a little interspecies love-- this book is for you.

I give it 2 out of 5 cat eyes.





No comments:

Post a Comment