10 Things I Like About MyselfFriday, March 07, 2014
It's a sad by-product of our society, but women in general are taught to tone down their self-worth. Men are praised for their accomplishments, assets, and good work whereas women are told to quit being a show-off.
Some attributes that seem impressive in males are actually given negative connotations when women posses them.
This Pantene ad is great at explaining it.
For example self-confidence in men is seen as narcissism in women. These double standards exist in today's world which is why I am totally behind Christy's Avoiding Atrophy link up about not only loving yourself but learning to say it.
|Look at all the other people who've Linked-Up!|
So here are ten things I like/love about myself.
(They are not numbered because I don't think I like one thing more than any other.)
- I am a quick learner. Luckily I've never had a hard time learning something. Not only do I love this but I'm completely grateful because I know that for some people learning new things can be hard.
- I have a lot of empathy/get attached to people, places, and things easily. Seriously. I get attached to the weirdest situations, people, and things. Old guy on the highway that I accidentally cussed out in my head? I pass him up and want to get out of my car and take him wherever he needs to go. Dog with two noses? Cutest thing ever.
|You can check out Snuffle's story here.|
- My love of reading. I know that some people have a really hard time just sitting down with a book. I love it. I need to read. I love the quiet and the time to myself. I'm on Goodreads!
- I don't need to be a leader. I think many times people assume they need to lead to be good at something. I don't have that problem and even though people say I could lead, I have no problem being second and taking orders.
- My sense of adventure. From the places I've been to the places I want to go. I want to experience new things as often as possible. If it looks cool, tasty, or interesting - I want it.
- My hair. I used to hate - no scratch that - loath, my hair but it's probably what I get complimented on the most. It's thick, curly, and a bit unruly but it's the best thing to never have to worry about having to fix it everyday. I don't even mind the (increasing number of) gray hairs.
|Horrible face, great hair.|
- I am a good worker. Partly because of my ability to learn quickly and also because both my parents instilled in me a good, solid work ethic. I get what needs to get done, quickly and correctly.
- I have a nice smile/good teeth. When I was younger I wanted a retainer but luckily I've never needed them, braces or even so much as a cap. I've never had a cavity and the wisdom teeth I do have don't bother me.
- My sense of humor. Some people can see it as harsh and dry but I think I'm hilarious. Sometimes unintentionally.
- I can admit my