07 July 2013

Lemon Mayo Sandwiches & Apartment Picnics





Today, John and I went to Fredericksburg to visit a friend of mine from college and spend the day. We had made plans to picnic somewhere on our way back home. Unfortunately we did not get to picnic somewhere as other things got in the way and we were still too full from brunching it up with Ari.


But we did have a nice picnic right in our living room since I went through all the trouble of packing it.

The main course was Lemon Mayo Turkey Sandwiches and Tabouleh (or tabbouli). For dessert we had pineapple and some lemon cake.


Lemon Mayo Turkey Sandwich


The sandwich is an easy and filling picnic food. I decided that I wasn't going to go all-out for something that might end up with us leaving because of ants, bugs, or severe heat stroke. Sandwiches are tasty, they travel well and everyone likes them. What made these sandwiches a bit different and summery (yes it's a word...I made up) is the lemon mayo. It adds a nice kick of acidity to the sandwich with the same creaminess you love from your mayo.

Plus! It's super easy to make.

Ingredients:

  1. 1-2 Lemons
  2. Mayo (I set aside some mayo in a separate, smaller container because I didn't want to turn all it all into lemoniness. The amount of lemons you use is going to depend on how much mayo you use. I would say about 1 lemon per cup of mayo, unless you're like me and like things very lemony. Then feel free to add more.)


Directions:

  1. Zest one lemon. 
  2. Add it to the mayo.
  3. Stir & taste. 
  4. If you need more lemony flavor add the zest from the second lemon & stir in. 
  5. Add to sandwich. 
Easy right?! Seriously. You'll think your Martha Stewart. In our sandwiches I put cheese, lettuce, tomato, cucumber and turkey but obviously it's your sandwich so feel free to add whatever other toppings you like. 





For our side I made a tabouleh salad instead of a regular garden salad. Tabouleh is a Mediterranean type of salad that is easy to make and refreshing. 



Ingredients: 
  1. Bulgar wheat
  2. Parsley (I used curly parsley but you can use the flat one)
  3. Red onion
  4. Tomatoes (I used grape but you can use whatever you like best)
  5. Cucumber
  6. Olive Oil
  7. Lemon 
  8. Salt & Pepper 
I know you guys hate me but I really don't measure anything. Please try to bear with me. 


Directions:
  1. Cook your bulgar according to the instructions. I bought mine in a box so it told me to boil a cup of water then put it in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
  2. While your bulgar is in the fridge cup up the parsley, red onion, tomatoes and cucumber. 
  3. Add all the ingredients into the bulgar. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. 
  4. Put it in the refrigerator again before serving for at least 30 minutes. 

It was a fun picnic. We're had all the picnic necessities like paper plates, plastic utensils, and a towel but with all the amenities of an apartment such as air conditioning and Netflix. 


No comments:

Post a Comment