13 July 2013

Bitchin' About: Changing Your Mind When You're Older

I turn 25 this November. I know, I know. I'll have lived a quarter of a century. I have acquired so much knowledge, wisdom, experience, and crap I can't bear to throw out. It seems that because of my long-lived life people seem insanely interested in me now, particularly

  1. When I'll start having kids
  2. When I'll go back to school.
This is the look I give them.

These things, though I admit are mildly interesting, are really no one else's business. I mean, my life cannot be more interesting than whatever happened on Honey Boo Boo. Or whatever celebrity named their child something stupid. For a list of 20 go here.

I mean, unless you're willing to carry my baby around for 9 months and then actually go through with the whole delivery thing I don't understand what business it is of yours. Same can be said about my education: unless you are about to cough up the money for tuition and books, make my schedule work around my full-time job and sort-of-a-social life it's none of your damn business.

But you know, we take our coffee the same way so we're practically BFFs! So yeah, I'm going to nosy into your life and privacy and ask with a smile on my face so as not to seem too eager for an answer.



...OKAY! So I've been holding that one in for a while but that isn't even where my rant begins. Oh no. My rant starts at the end of the conversation.

Random coffee drinker #1: "You ever think about having kids?"
Me: "No. Not really...I don't want kids."

Or

Random coffee drinker #2: "When do you think you'll go back to school?"
Me: "Um..well...I'm not."

Answer to both Questions:
Random Coffee Drinker #1 & 2: "Oh. Well, you'll change your mind when you're older."


Cue the red fiery eyes and steam billowing out of my earholes.

This is what I look like when I wear a ten-gallon hat. 


Nothing gets me more upset/angry/annoyed than that sentence.

I feel like I've heard it all my life. It's like the mantra of anyone who is even remotely older than you.

Person Born Day Before Me: "Do you like the color eggshell white?"
Me: "Um...not particularly."
Person Born Day Before Me: "Oh. Well you will when you're older."


Besides the fact that a lot of the questions that precede this sentence are really none of the other person's business it really grinds my gears when they feel that my mind will change when I get older.

I'm not a Family Guy fan but this is just too perfect. 

The sentence is belittling. It completely invalidates my thoughts, ideas, and experiences up to that point in time. I may very well change my mind when I'm older but that is MY decision to do. It is not something that you should say with a knowing smirk and a roll of the eyes. It is not something that should be said at all.

Hahah. I know sooo much more than you. Look at all my graying hair!


This sentence can be added to the end of many a sentences and in any of the situations it doesn't make you sound caring or concerned. It makes you sound like a dick.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive to the fact that I kind of like having my own thoughts and ideas no matter what age I am. Maybe I take it too seriously when someone claims to know me better than I know myself. Maybe it's the fact that I also kind of like that I have the ability to change my mind, without consequence or repercussions, whenever I feel like it.

If I want to go out and start college & have a baby tomorrow and swaddle them in eggshell white clothes I should be able to do that! I should be able to do them all at the same time without hearing someone else's voice in my head saying in a nagging-sing-songy voice "I told you so! I told you so!"



I'm just ranting but, hey, maybe I'll mellow out when I'm older.

No comments:

Post a Comment