17 June 2014

Literary Junkies # 4

Another month come and gone and I've been so busy with work and overall things that it's seemed to have gone by even faster than it usually does.

So for those so inclined, it's time to see what reading I've been up to.

1. What are you reading? Tell us about it!
Right now I'm reading Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver.

For popular high school senior Samantha Kingston, February 12—"Cupid Day"—should be one big party, a day of valentines and roses and the privileges that come with being at the top of the social pyramid. And it is…until she dies in a terrible accident that night.

I'm reading it really slowly because Sam is a terrible, horrible person and I cannot for the life of me garner one iota of sympathy or empathy for her or her bitchy friends.  Her and her friends complete lack of humanity for other people disgust me. I understand that they're teenagers and popular but that is not an excuse. I have  a really hard time with people who are mean and cruel to other people just because they can. 

2. Library or bookstore?
If I was super rich I would do bookstore all the way. I love to own books I've read, even if I don't like them. But since I'm poor the library it is. Or library sales. Or Half Price Books with a coupon.

3. What book(s) have you read and re-read several times?
I usually end up reading the Harry Potter series once every year or so.
I need this trunkset! 

I also re-read the Jessica Darling series every so often (though I usually stop at book 2).



4. What is the first book that made you fall in love with reading?
I've loved reading ever since I could remember so I'm not sure what book it was that sealed the deal. Probably something like Hooper Humperdink Not Him!

Which coincidentally is also about kids being mean to other kids for NO REASON!

5. Who's your favorite author? Tell us so we can binge-read!
I love J. K. Rowling. I also love Stephen King. I don't care if you think he's a sell out or whatever he's made some really good books and he has awesome fully-developed characters. Meg Cabot is great too! And I'm sure a lot more people are now fans of John Green.



I figure that each month is also a great time to update everyone about my Book Challenge. I've only been able to cross out one other item.


Read a "chunker" (more than 600 pages) - The Green Mile by Stephen King 
Mystery
Young Adult fiction - The Elixir Series & Wintergirls
Accidentally watched the movie first 
Relive the magic (read a book from childhood/youth you loved and haven't read recently)
Gathering dust (had the book for years and still haven't read)
Loved by others (others are constantly praising this book)
Second chance (didn't like the first time)
Award winner - The Color Purple 
Classic
Biography/memoir
Contemporary fiction - In Perfect Light
Non-fiction
"Adult" fiction
Fantasy
Horror
Lost in Translation (book originally published in a foreign language)
"Secret Santa" (book assigned to reader by another challenger)
Graphic novel
Banned book - 1984 
True crime
Current NY Times #1 Best Seller
Coverstory (a book you chose based solely on the cover image - you are not even allowed to read the description)
Humor


No comments:

Post a Comment