20 November 2015

You Did What???



I've had one job or another since I was 18. Sure some of them were part-time work-study jobs but I usually had two. Sometimes, even three. I've tried to be very independent my adult life. I knew that my parents would always help me out should I need it, but I never wanted to ask for it. I figured that whatever I got myself into, I could get myself out of. Hence all the jobs.

Well, a few weeks ago I did something that I thought I would never do.

I quit my full-time job without a back-up plan in place.
Yup. I did that.


The job I had wasn't the job I wanted. And true, there are a lot of jobs I've had that weren't the most perfect. But this job, it was stressful. And not even in a good way. TV stressful - I can do that. Getting text messages that things needed to be ready yesterday - not something I'm good at. I would get text messages at 7 in the morning. Sometimes on weekends. I Pavlovian-ingly started to hate hearing my texting sound. I would leave my phone at home when I could. Going into work became dreadful. I tried to deal with it and I tried asking for a different position but it just wasn't in the cards for me.

So, after discussing it with John I felt comfortable enough with my decision to quit.

Yeah right. Even after it had been done I didn't feel comfortable. But I figured that in the moment, it would be better for me to quit than for me to continue at a place I felt was so toxic.

I don't know why I'm sharing this. I guess I can chalk it up to my goals of sharing my private life more. I don't have any funny anecdotes about it. I don't feel confident even now about how we'll pay all our bills. I'm not encouraging anyone to follow in my footsteps.

But I am glad I did it. If that even makes sense.

I've been freelancing a bit to scrounge up some money. And John and I are looking into starting a small business. So at least my time isn't a complete waste.

Oh and my grades at school are pretty excellent.
And the house is almost always pretty clean.
The laundry has been done.
And I've updated, reformatted, re-edited, and re-everything-elsed my resume.
Hopefully something sticks soon.


Until then, I'm trying not to stress too much about it. I'm focusing on my blog, our business, and school. And I'm looking forward to the tradition of watching the BBC Mini-series of Pride & Prejudice with Mum during the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday.

If you seen more blog posts - you'll know why!

No comments:

Post a Comment