15 April 2014

Literary Junkie Link-Up # 2

Last month was my first link-up to the Literary Junkies. I love the idea so much that I decided to keep up with it. So here are this month's questions - all about the old-school paper. 


1. What are you reading right now? Tell us about it!
Right now I'm reading my first Neil Gaiman book - Anansi Boys

I've been reading it for a while because I've been busy with Noah, work, and trying to clean/paint/and garden our home. But so far I'm really liking it. It's easy to read, engaging and even laugh-out-loud funny. 


2. Divergent, Hunger Games, or Twilight. Which do you prefer and why?
I haven't read Divergent but want to. I am currently on the library waiting list at number 25 or so. But I have read The Hunger Games trilogy and I absolutely loved it. I read each book in one sitting and found them to be fully formed and complex. I love Katniss and the situations she has to face. I love that even though she's strong she's not always strong. Sometimes she does break down and that doesn't make her any more fragile or girlie or whatever - she's multi-dimensional and Peeta is the greatest. 



3. TV Series Based on Books: they start out very close to the book to draw in the fans but then will start to separate themselves by changing things and adding characters. What are you thoughts on this?
I actually had to Google TV Shows based on Books because I wasn't sure which ones I've seen and read. Turns out...not many. I loved Dexter (based on the books by Jeff Lindsay) but haven't read a single book. 



I watch Gossip Girl (books by Cecily Brooke von Ziegesar) as a guilty pleasure but have never picked up any of the books in the series.


 I understand why they have to make differences from the book to the big screen but when they divert too much from the original it can get annoying to the book-fans. 

4. You've just been recruited to help a movie studio bring your favorite book to the big screen. What's the movie and who are you choosing to play the main characters?
One series I love - The Jessica Darling Series - is hilariously funny, snarky, witty, and smart but I don't think a movie could ever do it justice, no matter how much I wish otherwise. 


I think any book by Sarah Dessen would make a good chick flick. I can see This Lullaby being a great rom-com.

The Truth About Forever a good high school coming-of-age movie. 

As for actors and actresses, I seriously don't know. 



5. Going back to the above question, do you keep it word for word the same or do you use this chance to change little things you thought would make the book better?
I think it would be very difficult to keep any movie-based-on-a-book word for word. There is always something you have to cut out for time constraints...unless you do a BBC mini-series version. But I would not change the overall direction or ending of the books because I think they're perfect for the story and could be shot perfectly for the movie. 



6. After you finish a physical copy of a book do you keep it for a reread, put it on a shelf to collect dust, donate it to Goodwill, or do you just not purchase physical copies of books?
I love buying books. I kept all my English Lit textbooks. I always scour Goodwill, Salvation Army, and Library Sales, but recently I've only been borrowing them from the library. I love owning books because I can highlight them, write in them, get food on them without worrying about it. But we don't have enough wall space for a bookshelf to fit all the books I have and wish I could buy. That said, if I see a book I know I love or have been wanting to read for a while I will definitely try to find it at Half Price or somewhere cheap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment