Liver & Mashed Potato Dog CakeWednesday, February 25, 2015
I mentioned in my last post about our furbabies birthday that my Mum had found a recipe that I used in part to make our dog cake. Well, here is how I made this totally delicious (to dogs anyway) liver and mashed potato cake.
For the cake you'll need: one and a half pounds of liver, two eggs, and a half cup of flour. I used all purpose but you can use whole wheat or whatever you have lying around.
We found that blanching the liver really helps the stinkiness of it when it bakes. Your kitchen will still smell funny but nowhere near as bad as if you didn't blanch it at all.
When you first add the liver, the blood will turn the water red. I take the liver out when the water turns from red to murky which will just depend on how much liver you bought or your stove settings.
|You can see the water is no longer red but is murky with foam.|
Drain your liver.
You can see that some pieces are still not cooked but we'll be throwing it in the oven so it's okay if not everything is ready yet.
To a food processor add your liver, eggs, and flour.
Then pulse until everything is incorporated and the liver is in small chunks.
Add your mix to a 13x9 jellyroll pan lined with parchment or silicon. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for about 15 minutes.
When the liver is cooled, cut it into four rectangles - these will be the layers in the cake.
Add the first layer to your platter and put some mashed potatoes on top, like you would frosting. Continue adding the liver and potatoes in layers until you have liver on top.
I rolled my mashed potatoes in between two sheets of plastic wrap to get it looking like a nice, smooth fondant but you can just scoop and frost it like a normal cake.
Crush your dog's favorite doggie treats and sprinkle on top. Voila! Great looking & great tasting dog cake.
This recipe is based off of: Diabetic Dog Treats from AllRecipes.com
Liver & Mashed Potato Dog Cake
- 1.5 lbs Liver
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 flour
- 2 cups instant mashed potatoes
- 3 Beggin' Strips or your dog's favorite treat
- Take all of your liver and blanch it in boiling water. Leave it for a few minutes. I take the liver out when the water turns from bloody to murky.
- Strain the water. Some pieces of liver may not be fully cooked and that's okay.
- Using a blender or a food processor add the liver, eggs, and flour. Pulse until everything is incorporated and the liver is in small pieces.
- Spread the mixture onto a 13x9 inch pan lined with parchment.
- Bake in a preheated 375F degree oven for about 15 minutes.
- While it's cooling make your potatoes according to box instructions. Reserve half for the top frosting.
- When the liver treats are cool cut them to make four rectangles.
- Place your first "layer" of liver on your plate and add some mashed potatoes on top, spreading it like you would frosting on a cake. You don't need a lot, just enough to ensure that the next layer will stay on top.
- Place the next layer of liver and add more mashed potatoes on top. Do this until you have all four layers of liver.
- Reserving one cup of mashed potatoes, put them in between two layers of plastic wrap and using a rolling pin or can, smooth out the potatoes into a rectangle a little bit longer than your liver cake.
- Take one plastic sheet off and using a cookie sheet, plate, or whatever you have around flip the potatoes onto the liver cake. You should end up with the plastic wrap on top to help you smooth out any lumps or bumps.
- Lastly, crumble up your Beggin' Strips or whatever treat your dog likes and sprinkle on top.