21 September 2015

Robert Earl Keen



Last week, John and I went to see one of my favorite country/folk singers: Robert Earl Keen.

I've been a fan of his ever since my friend J introduced me to him. I've seen REK one other time at the Majestic when he did his Christmas show. When I saw on Facebook that REK was going to be coming down to do a concert to celebrate his 20th Anniversary of No. 2 Live Dinner, I wanted to go.

Luckily John wanted to go with me so we bought our tickets & headed to Floore's Country Store in Helotes, TX. (Which is actually just right outside of San Antonio.) Floore's is a country music venue and restaurant. When John & I both lived on that side of town neither one of us was into that kind of music so neither one of us had been there.

We were actually surprised by how big the outdoor space was. The stage was big and they had 3 different beer booths going along with a port-a-potty section away from the main area. The show was general audience which meant we had to stand but Floore's has a VIP section with tables & chairs and waitresses to order food from.

We didn't eat anything but we did have a beer or two.


I had his beer which was a honey pils. It was pretty good actually and it is made here in Texas.

The first band was Cody Canada and the Departed which was a band I had never heard before. They were pretty good. The second band was Reckless Kelly. I liked them a lot. I'd heard their music on Pandora before.

Finally, it was time for REK to come out. By that time, a lot more people had showed up. We were pretty far towards the back but the music was good, the crowd was happy, and it was a really fun show.



Because the show was a 20th Anniversary tribute, REK brought some special guests to help him sing along: including Lyle Lovett, Cory Morrow, Bruce Robison, and Joe Ely.

It was such a fun show. I'm glad that I got to see it. Even if for the most part all I could see was the back of people's heads.




What shows/concerts have you been to this summer? Any that just really blew you away?

No comments:

Post a Comment