Pea Soup with Bacon, Cheese, and Pickled Jalapenos

Monday, January 26, 2015



I've been making a lot of soups lately because

1.) it's been coldish outside and
2.) I cannot get enough of my Martha Stewart dutch oven.



Well, I was watching Nick Stellino and even though I can't stand his personality I thought his soup looked pretty good. So I went with it.


I added a lot more red pepper, garlic, onion, and peas. I subbed the brandy for white wine and added a whole bunch of fixings at the end instead of making the confit he did. 













I loved this soup. It doesn't look very appetizing but it is delicious.


Without further ado, my altered recipe based off of: Nick Stellino's Pea Soup with Shrimp and Bacon Confit


Pea Soup with Bacon, Cheese, and Pickled Jalapenos


Ingredients
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 stalks celery, chopped
  • 3 carrots, chopped
  • 1 package (2 lbs 8oz) peas (I used frozen)
  • crushed red pepper
  • thyme
  • 5 cloves garlic
  • olive oil
  • bacon, cooked and cut into bits
  • cheese
  • pickled jalapenos
  • sour cream, to taste
  • white wine
  • 6 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Cooking Directions
  1. In a large pot, add some olive oil and your onion. Let the onion turn translucent. 
  2. Then add your celery, carrots, garlic. 
  3. Next, add your salt and pepper. 
  4. Then, your spices: I used about 2 tablespoons of thyme and 1/4 cup of red pepper. We like things spicy! 
  5. Let everything season and mingle just a bit before adding some white wine. When you add it, scrape off any foodbits that have stuck to the bottom of your pan. 
  6. Let the wine reduce for about 4 minutes. 
  7. Add your chicken broth and peas straight into the pot. Bring everything to a boil. 
  8. Reduce to a simmer and cook it for about 40-45 minutes or until the peas and vegetables are tender. 
  9. Using an immersion blender or regular blender, blend all of the soup until it is smooth. 
  10. Ladle some into a bowl and make it your own! Add bacon bits, cheese, and jalapenos for a spicy, tangy flavor, or a dollop of sour cream for a creamier texture.

*You do not have to blend this soup.
*If you do not have an immersion blender and are going to put it in a regular blender, do it in batches and either take out the middle bit of the lid or leave the lid on loosely. If you throw all of the hot soup into the blender and tighten the lid, it can EXPLODE all over your face and kitchen.
*If you're thinking of letting the soup cool before blending - you can, but it does change the texture of the soup. It won't be as creamy.


This soup is really easy, cooks in one pot, and taste delicious. It's definitely going to be eaten again before the temperatures go up.

Do you like pea soup? Do you have a favorite recipe or add-in? Let me know in the comments!

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Looks delicious! Pinning for a future meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jennifer! It really is tasty. I never would have thought I would like pea soup of all things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good! I am going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please do! It's really flavorful and so easy! One pot and done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds delicious, except for the jalepenos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol. You don't have to add them. I really just like it for that extra kick of spicy. There are tons of other things to add instead. I'm sure it will taste just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How scrumptiously lovely! My first thought is that I would want to serve this with big chunks of cornbread. Thank you for sharing this tasty cold weather recipe with us, dear gal.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're welcome! I'm sure it would be lovely with cornbread.

    ReplyDelete